Premises Liability - The Sullivan Law Firm - Personal Injury Attorney

Premises Liability

Premises liability is an area of personal injury law that holds property owners responsible for injuries that occur on their property due to unsafe or hazardous conditions. The Sullivan Law Firm helps victims recover damages related to but not limited to the list below.

We’ve been representing individuals with premises liability claims for over 20 years.

A premises liability claim can involve many different claims such as trip and falls, slip and falls, criminal attacks, and false imprisonment. Generally, owners and occupiers of premises have a heightened duty to protect persons on their property. However, the extent of their duty depends on the status of the individual on their property as an invitee, licensee, or trespasser. Determining the status of an injured party on someone’s property is only the initial step in determining liability in a premises liability case, so it is important that you seek prompt legal representation.

Types of Premises Liability Cases
  • Falling Object Injury
  • Slip & Falls
  • Defects in Building Structure
  • Injuries related to Toxic Material
  • Injuries on Escalators & Elevators
  • Collapsed decks and/or balconies
  • Defective Stairs & Railings
  • Dog Bites
  • Insufficient Security


There are a lot of questions around lawyers and the process, we know it can be confusing. So here are some common questions we get asked.

View More FAQs

We know there is also a lot of information to review, so here we housed some common terms and facts for you as well.

View Glossary
What are the costs to hire The Sullivan Law Firm?

Nothing. It will also cost you nothing to have a consultation of your case. We handle all of our cases on a contingency fee basis, which means that you do not pay us out of pocket, and we only get paid if you are compensated.

How do I get my accident report?

If you have been involved in an accident, which occurred on a public road or public property, and an officer reported to the scene and completed an investigation, you can retrieve your accident report by either presenting to the investigating agency and requesting a copy of the accident report (for a fee of $2 - $5) or by visiting and buying a copy of your report online for $11.00. If you are unable to purchase your report online, as part of our free consultation, we will procure your accident report and review it prior to our consultation.

Why should I hire an attorney?

When you are injured by someone else’s negligence or actions, insurance is usually the source for your compensation. Insurance companies have been insuring American citizens for hundreds of years and are represented by highly skilled attorneys who have been trained to ensure that the insurance companies pay as little as possible when tendering compensation to someone who is injured. In order to maximize your compensation and get what you deserve, it is necessary to hire an attorney who understands the insurance industry and the laws and regulations regarding personal-injury cases. Proceeding with a claim without an attorney against an insurance company equipped with centuries of experience and skilled representation would severely inhibit your ability to be fully compensated.

How long do I have to bring my claim in?

The time period an injured person has to make a claim, for injuries sustained to their property or person as a result of someone else’s negligence or actions, is called the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations varies for each type of claim. For example, if you were involved in a car accident, you will have two (2) years from the date of the accident to file a lawsuit in order to preserve your claim against the at-fault party and their insurance company; but, certain facts and circumstances may shorten or extend that period of time. It is imperative that you know how much time you have to file a lawsuit so that you may preserve your right to be compensated.

Where is your office located?

We are located in Statesboro, Georgia. Here is our firm's address: 100 Brampton Ave #2FA, Statesboro, GA 30458.

What is negligence?

Negligence is a formal term for saying that someone unintentionally failed to exercise reasonable care for the safety of others and that failure caused someone damages or injuries. Most cases involving personal injuries fall under negligence. However, in some circumstances a person’s unintentional failure to exercise reasonable care may rise to the level of recklessness, which may entitle you to additional compensation. Every injury case is different and every detail, no matter how minor, may significantly change your entitlement to compensation.

Can I still recover if my medical providers bill my health insurance?

Generally, yes. If your medical bills are paid, the at fault driver, usually through their insurance coverage, is still liable for your injuries and the medical bills associated with treating your injuries. However, in some circumstances you may have to reimburse your health insurance carrier if you receive compensation from an at-fault party, it is beneficial to be represented by a competent attorney who, in some circumstances, can negotiate significant reductions to your health insurance reimbursement.

What is med pay?

Med pay, or medical payment provisions, in your insurance policy is a provision of insurance that will pay for medical bills regardless of who is at fault for the accident. Instates that require “no-fault” insurance (Georgia is not one of them, it uses a tort system), med pay is required in each policy. However, in states like Georgia, med pay is usually only added to a policy if you request it, and it is usually fairly cheap for good coverage.

What is uninsured or under insured motorist coverage?

Uninsured or under insured motorist coverage is additional insurance from your policy to help compensate you for an accident if the at-fault driver has no insurance or is under insured. Georgia law requires that your insurance company offer it to you, and it is your decision whether to carry it on your policy or not. Many times, uninsured or under insured drivers cause accidents so it is very important to have “full coverage,” which includes uninsured motorist/under insured motorist coverage.

How do you get my medical records?

In Georgia, a patient has an absolute statutory right to obtain copies of their medical records and they can allow their attorney to procure their medical records by signing a HIPAA (Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act) release, which allows a medical provider to furnish copies of their medical records to a third-party. Many of our clients treat at East Georgia Regional Medical Center, St. Joseph’s/Candler Hospital, Memorial Health University Medical Center, Augusta University Medical Center, Meadows Regional Medical Center, Winn Army Community Hospital, Emanuel Medical Center, and Optim Healthcare, and we are able to procure their medical records for them.

Why do I have to use my uninsured motorist covers and will it effect my insurance premiums?

Each month you pay a premium for your insurance policy and coverage. If you have uninsured or under insured motorist coverage, Georgia law bars insurance companies from raising your premiums if you make a claim for an accident that is not your fault. Additionally, your insurance carrier cannot cancel your policy or decline to renew your policy for making a claim for uninsured or under insured motorist coverage.

How much is my case worth?

There is no way to say for sure how much your personal injury case is worth. There are many factors that go into the worth of your case, such as: the facts and circumstances of the accident giving rise to your injury; the severity of your injuries; who is responsible for your injuries;the applicable insurance limits; your health prior to your injuries; your employment history; your life expectancy; and your past litigation history. At the outset, this answer can be frustrating. However, it actually is beneficial to those who are represented by a competent attorney who knows how to maximize your recovery.

What if the driver of the automobile that hit me was from a different state?

If you were injured in an automobile, bicycle, or pedestrian accident and the driver who caused the accident is from another state you still can pursue your claim in Georgia if the accident happened in Georgia.